2018 is here and so are the latest design trends. With all the cold weather, lately I have been curled up on the couch with a cozy blanket thinking of my upcoming décor projects. Here is a list of the hottest design training emerging in 2018:
1. Statement Ceiling- I would say that most people’s ceilings are white smooth surfaces with nothing remarkable. My ceilings actually have a texture which give them a little bit of visual interest. But you can punch up the interest in a variety of ways. Anything from a bold color, wallpaper or even wood can be used to give your ceiling a wow factor. In the example, wallpaper is use to on the ceiling in a fun pattern. The pattern from the curtains is repeated on the ceiling. The treatment paired with the chandelier creates a chic space that any woman would love to have.
2. Terrazo- A popular flooring back in the 70’s, Terrazzo is making a comeback. Terrazzo is a composite material, poured in place or precast, which is used for floor and wall treatments. It has its origins in Italy in the 18th century. It consists of chips of marble, quartz, granite, glass or other suitable material, poured in a cementitious binder. It is ground and polished to create a smooth and seamless surface. In the picture, we see Terrazzo used as a wall treatment. Depending on the colors used you can get a variety of looks and styles.
3. Wallpaper- Wallpaper has been making a comeback and in 2018 it is going to be hot. But unlike wallpaper of the past, the trends are moving more towards natural elements and woven textures. Grass cloth is a great way to bring warmth and texture into your space and it adds some interest without being overwhelming. In this living room, we see grass cloth used as the backing to built-ins. It is a subtle blue, with variations in hues that add to this coastal chic décor style.
4. Bone Inlay- Inlay or Marquetry gained popularity during the reign of Louis XIV (1654-1715). The technique is a combination of different materials to create an intricate design. This technique can be used with different types of materials including stone, metal and bone. Bone Inlay has been done in India and surrounding areas, it really showcases traditional craftsmanship. In the table, we see the handcrafted inlay technique but it is more modern looking because of the colors and patterns used. This table will fit well in a more modern setting, but still bring a natural element into the space.
5. Black and White Color Combination- This color combo is timeless, elegant and always in style. This year the trend is leaning towards simplicity and this color combo delivers just that. It can be understated or played up with bold accent colors. I have always been a fan of black and white color palate- especially in bathrooms. This bathroom is elegant and chic, from the black and white hex tiles on the floor to the bold black cabinets.
As always, Happy Decorating!
As always, Happy Decorating!