So you get the call. Potential buyers are coming in an hour and you’re still in your robe with coffee in hand. There are spilled Cheerios on the floor and kids running through the house. How do you keep it all together while living in a staged home?
1. DO keep all the cleaning supplies you use in one place. Having them in a basket or caddy is a great idea. If you have multiple levels in your home, it may also be helpful to have one for each. You don’t want to be running around trying to find the dusting spray!
2. DON’T leave your laundry, dirty or clean, out for everyone to see. Make sure your dirty ones are in the washer or hamper. If you haven’t folded clean ones yet, bring them with you to fold when you leave. It’ll kill time while you wait for the showing to be over.
3. DO make your bed first thing when you wake up. When your bed is made, it can instantly make your room look cleaner and everything else will feel easier to tidy up.
4. DON’T put off cleaning because you aren’t getting many showings. If you clean steadily throughout the week, you won’t be so overwhelmed if you do get a last minute call.
5. DO keep a sheet over the couch or other furniture if you have pets that shed. Simply pull it off and go.
6. DO clear space in kitchen cabinets to quickly put away things such as your toaster or coffee pot. With the exception of well-staged items, you don’t want to overcrowd your kitchen counters. It can make them look smaller than they are.
7. DON’T do the floors first. Make this your last task.
8. DO keep out a good set of towels in the bathroom, but have an everyday set next to them or on top. When it’s time for a showing, just grab the everyday one away. You won’t have to worry about finding a clean; matching set and waste time folding them.
9. DO give kids an age-appropriate task. It will keep them busy (and out of your hair).
10. DON’T be afraid to hire help if you need it. Whether it be a professional home stager, babysitter/mother’s helper, organizer, or cleaning crew, they all have their own ways to help you keep your home in tip-top shape.