Skip to main content

Ready, Set, Downsize!

There can be many different reasons for downsizing – but moving is probably the most common. Well, I’m not moving, but the older I get the more I get annoyed at all the stuff I’ve accumulated over the years. Does this sound familiar to you? 

In the past, I would move to a different home every four years. And every time I moved, I would sort through my stuff, donating lots of bags to the Salvation Army, Purple Heart and Goodwill. As you can tell, my love of shopping for clothes, shoes and decorative items has always gotten me in trouble.

However, now that I’ve been living in the same house for the past five years, my “stuff” has been multiplying exponentially. Not only is the crawl space under the house filled up completely, but we now have a garage that has no more extra room – especially for a car. And it's migrating to my two spare bedrooms and the closets are bulging at the seams. I'm really tired of the piles which seem to grow on a weekly basis. And even more frustrating, I usually can't find what I'm looking for!

Time out. I need to fix this situation! No one else can weed out all my personal items unless I call a professional organizer.

So, what has inspired me to think about downsizing? Because I've been helping my family transition into a new, smaller place after moving from a large house with lots of storage. Now they are in an apartment with no basement, no garage. To make their situation even more challenging, not only are they moving their own belongings, but also all the inherited "treasures" from their parents. Since I really don't want to be in that situation when I'm older with lots of aches and pains, I've decided to tackle my downsizing process now -- while I still have the energy without the maladies.

So how do you let go of your "treasures"? The answer is -- with difficulty. But, in my opinion, the pay-off is worth it.

Here are some suggestions on my downsizing method:
1. First, make four piles: 1) Give-away or donate; 2) Sell; 3) Trash; 4) Keep (try not to be tempted to add too many items to that pile).
2. Second, in sorting through your personal belongings, ask yourself: Will I need or wear it now or within the next year? If the answer is no, you probably want to put those items in the "give-away, sell or trash" pile.
3. Third, can I give it to someone who can use it? Donating items to charity organization can provide you a tax donation write-off -- just make sure you get a receipt for your donation. By the way, Purple Heart will pick it up from your doorstep if you schedule it with them online.
4. Next, do you want to sell your items and make a little money (or a lot, depending upon the worth of the items)? You can put ads in a Craig's List for free or in your local "Pennysaver" for very little money, or have a garage sale or take items to a consignment shop. Your choice. Will your efforts be worth the pay off? Maybe. It depends on your point of view and your priorities.
Personally, I'm lazy about garage sales, so I decided to donate those items that I hadn't used/needed in a year, and I received a tax receipt. Remember when you’re donating to keep the receipt and itemize (and summarize) the number and types of items.
5. Which leads me to my fifth suggestion: ask your family or friends if they would like to "inherit" your hand-me-downs. If they're ready for your hand-me-downs, that will help your downsizing efforts.
6. Finally, here's my last suggestion if you going through this alone and need help: Consider hiring a professional organizer to assist you in sorting through items and deciding whether to keep them, sell or donate them, or trash them.
Or, if you're going to sell your home, professional home stagers can help you "de-clutter" to make your home appeal to prospective buyers.  If you are totally overwhelmed with the process, you may want to call a Professional Organizer to help you. 
So, right now, I'm taking my own advice and beginning to downsize on my own. If you’re also ready to take on this challenge, best of luck and hope you love the results!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Your Rooms Feel More Spacious

If you're like me, I don't like to walk into a room and feel that it is closing in on me - this probably means that it is crowded with too much furniture and accessories - or just "stuff". I love an open, spacious feeling in a room - even if the room is small. Whether it is in a house, an apartment, condo or dorm, decorating small areas can be challenging. One of my "fans" has asked me to address some solutions to the crowded feeling. In response to her request, I've enumerated some decorating tips below that may help with those rooms and areas that are smaller than we'd like. Some of my suggestions are merely optical illusions which attract the eye and center it on the focal point. The end result is a room that feels larger than it is and much more spacious. One thing to remember: dark colors usually make a space feel more intimate and cozy while light shades make a room feel more open and spacious. If you want that spacious feeling, choo

2021 Color Forecast

Color Forecast This just in- Pantone’s Colors of the Year for 2021 are Ultimate Gray (17-5104) and Illuminating (13-0647). These two independent colors highlight how different elements come together to support one another.  “The union of an enduring Ultimate Gray with the vibrant yellow illuminating expresses a message of positivity supported by fortitude. Practical and rock solid, but at the same time warming and optimistic, this is a color combination that gives us resilience and hope. We need to feel encouraged and uplifted; this is essential to the human spirit,” Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute. Another trending Pantone color for Spring/Summer is A.I. Aqua. It boasts an intense color saturation that works well in digital formats as well as fashion and design. The inspiration for this color is nature, the sparkling crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean; it is sure to make a splash in your home. But Pantone’s choice is not indicative of the other m

Curb Appeal

Photo Credit: Unsplash FAQ: What is Curb Appeal and How Do I Increase It? by guest blogger Emma Croft If you’re about to put your home on the market, you’ve probably come across the term “curb appeal.” A Goode Start Decorating can help you stage the inside of your home, but you have to consider what kind of impression your home gives from the street as well. A home with great curb appeal can be on and off the market in a second. Bad curb appeal can leave you desperate for buyers, which is a position no seller wants to be in. Here’s everything you need to know:  Q1: What is curb appeal? A1: Simply put, curb appeal is how attractive your property is from the street.  The Keys to Creating Killer Curb Appeal 5 Homes With Great Curb Appeal and the Stories Behind Them 7 Curb Appeal Mistakes You Should Avoid Q2: How much of a difference can it make? A2: First impressions can make or break a home sale, so it’s pretty vital.  The Importance Of Curb Appeal To Selling A House 4 Effective Tact