Autumn is time for changes – the leaves are turning, the kids are back in school, football games are on TV, and you start looking toward the upcoming holidays – which will be here before we know it!
If your house needs a little TLC before the fall football get-togethers and the holiday season begins, here are a few ideas to help you:
1. Begin your task with one room at a time – so you do not feel so overwhelmed.
2. Identify the problem area(s). And ask yourself - are there too many books, magazines, dishes, knick-knacks, blankets, toys, etc. around? Does something need to be repaired or fixed before you can start organizing? If so, try your hand at the repair, hire someone or bribe your significant other to help you.
3. Next, start looking for some storage solutions to organize your belongings. This could range from bookshelves with canvas or wicker baskets to under-the-bed storage containers (I bought lifts at Bed, Bath and Beyond for my bed so I could squeeze some storage containers under my bed). B-B & B has a wide variety of containers as well as Target and Walmart; or it you have a Container Store or IKEA nearby, check out their selection.
4. Store items in trunks that are available now in different types, colors and sizes and are attractive ways to hide belongings. I have four wicker trunks in my house – all used for storage – from throws to decorations to family board games. And if the trunks are located in family areas, they provide a convenient storage for frequently used items.
5. In my home office, I bought two black storage ottomans that I use for filing bills and paperwork in my office, instead of a filing cabinet. They are also comfortable to sit on if you occasionally have a visitor while you’re working in your office.
6. Children's toys can be stored away in colorful trunks, square ottomans, canvas baskets in storage cubes or bookshelves, or in plastic containers. Color-code each container (for each child or for the type of toy) for easy retrieval and easy clean-up by the kids. The colorful, square storage ottomans are multi-purpose and can also be fun to use as extra seating around a small table (I bought mine from Target). And you can stack them in a corner too.
7. Buy some over the door hooks for the bedroom doors to hang bathrobes, purses or hats to save some room in closets.
So, there are few suggestions to get you started on your fall clean-up. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to add your comments. Happy Fall!